Lakeland Christian SchoolStay up to date with our facebook! Give us a like.
Lakeland Christian SchoolOne of the core values of LCS is the belief that we are partnering with parents in the Christian education of their children. We believe that mutual respect, communication and involvement by all partners is essential for success of our mission.LCS is a school. We believe that being a Christian school and being a top-flight academic institution should not be mutually exclusive. On the contrary, we take the mandate of Colossians 3:23 that calls us to strive to be the best. We provide a variety of rigorous, engaging, academic and co-curricular activities that enable students to identify and express the full range of their unique gifts and abilities.
Dr. Mike Sligh, Head of School for Lakeland Christian School
I am a native of Lakeland and attended LCS from 4th-9th grades. LCS had no high school in those days. My desire to serve at LCS was kindled in my middle school years by the influence of John Bechtel, one of my teachers and principal. I came to believe that if I could have the same influence on young people that this teacher had on me, it would be a worthy way to invest my life.
I am grateful for my Christian parents who taught me the truths of scripture and salvation from my earliest years. I came to understand that the only basis of my acceptance before a holy God was the work of Christ accomplished on my behalf on the cross. I am continually challenged to explore the truths of scripture and to have them inform both my personal life and my professional practice.
I returned to join the LCS faculty in 1972 and have had the opportunity to serve the students and families of LCS in a variety of roles over the years. It has been very fulfilling to see the school mature into the highly respected, vigorous institution that we all enjoy today. We are continually striving to equip our students for the changing demands of the twenty-first century while providing a firm foundation on the unchanging, eternal Truths of scripture.
- Bachelor of Arts, Education, University of Florida (1971)
- Master of Education, History Education, University of Florida (1972)
- Master of Education, Educational Leadership, University of South Florida (1990)
- Doctor of Education, Educational Leadership, Nova Southeastern University (2005)
Roles Served at LCS:
- Social Studies and Bible Teacher
- Athletic Director (1973-1988)
- Head Boys Basketball Coach (1975-1988)
- Head Baseball Coach
- Boys Tennis Coach
- Assistant Principal (1988-96)
- School Principal (1996-97)
- Head of School (1997-present)
Other Professional Involvement:
- Association of Christian Schools International, Florida Region Accreditation Commission (1997-2017)
- Florida Council of Independent Schools, Board of Directors (2009-2016)
- Florida Council of Independent Schools Accreditation Commission (2017-present)
Wife, Mary; two adult children, three grandchildren.