A Day In My Life On Football Fridays…
If you’re looking for Todd Radford in his office on a Friday, you’re looking in the wrong place. As the Assistant Athletic Director in charge of football operations, Fridays are – as you can imagine – a busy day for him. So what does a typical Friday look like for Todd when the Vikings are at home? Here it is, in his own words:
A Day In My Life on Football Fridays…
- 5:00 AM – Alarm goes off so I can make it to the gym before school
- 5:01 AM – Hit the snooze button so I don’t have to get out of bed yet, thus beginning the internal battle
- 6:45 AM – Leave home to get to LCS, iPhone and iPad ready for lots of action
- 7:20 AM – Faculty devotions
- 7:45 AM – Stop by my office to check emails
- 8:00 AM – Out to the field to set up for the game — pylons, yard markers, flag, chains, etc., etc.
- 9:00 AM – Head up to the press box to fire up the video board and scoreboard, crossing my fingers that everything starts up and runs smoothly.
- 10:00 AM – Final confirmation with pre-game tailgate caterer to make sure we are still on schedule for food delivery for our Chairback Founders
- 11:30 AM – Lunch with Steve Wilson to finalize game events
- 1:00 PM – If the weather looks like it will be good, I set up the fan plaza (spirit shoppe, gate, tables and chairs, etc.)
- 2:00 PM – Final review of the game day schedule of events, making sure everything that is needed for the evening is ready to go and that all of the people scheduled to work are confirmed.
- 3:00 PM – Final walk through of the stadium to make sure everything is cleaned and in its proper place
- All Day! — Multiple trips between my office, training room, gym, storage room, stadium, ticket office, press box, concession stand
- 3:30 PM – Off to basketball practice…Go Vikings!
- 5:30 PM – Back to the field to greet the opposing team, help move their equipment out to the field and fill the water coolers; final set up of press box
- 6:00 PM – Check in with the tailgate to make sure everything is okay and to greet some of the best fans in all of Polk County
- 7:00 PM – On the sidelines, anxiously awaiting the kickoff (my favorite time of the evening)
- 10:00 PM – Clean up the field, shut down the press box and make sure that any leftover food is taken to the coaching office
- 10:45 PM – Stop by the coaching office to make sure they have everything they need and to congratulate them on the big win (hopefully!)
- 11:00 PM – Head home to decompress by watching the last 30 minutes of the Friday night football scores
- 12:00 AM – Trying to remember if I actually went to the gym 19 hours ago! Then…Lights Out.