LCS Headmaster Dr. Mike Sligh writes a special column in each edition of the Viking, a quarterly publication of Lakeland Christian School. Here are reprints of some articles that deal specifically with the importance of Christian schooling. Read Dr. Mike Sligh’s past Viking articles:
- Dressed for the Storm (November 2010)
- LCS, A Magnet School? (May 2011)
- More Than Atmosphere (July 2011)
Why Christian Schooling?
ACSI Christian School Comment: The Christian School DifferenceACSI Schools: The Best Choice for Your Child Dr. Sligh recommends the following articles:
- How to Guard Sabbath for your Children, Gospel Coalition – A worthy read for over-scheduled families who try to “do it all,” seeking some benefit for children from a fast-paced life.
- Shed the Superman Cape – As parents, we all want to be approachable, credible leaders for our children. Dave Benzel offers some practical guidelines to assist us in offering effective leadership in the home. It seems to me that there are many biblical principles at work here though they are not identified as such. A stimulating piece for parents to read and discuss with one another. Enjoy!
- “Children in Worship — Mom Tested Tips” – Blog post by Jason Helopoulos – The mission of LCS includes preparing our students for a lifetime of worship. We need to start this process when our children are young. Here are some ideas on why this is important and some practical tips for how it works “in the pew.”
- “Children in Worship — Let’s Bring it Back” – Blog post by Jason Helopoulos – The mission of LCS includes preparing our students for a lifetime of worship. We need to start this process when our children are young. Here are some ideas on why this is important and some practical tips for how it works “in the pew.”
- TV Tips for Parents – Article by Eric Metaxas, a co-host of BreakPoint Radio. The article discusses the correlation between excessive TV viewing and antisocial behavior in young people.
- How Much Sleep Does My Student Need? – Sleep is critical to healthy development, and like most things, the habits we learn in childhood carry through to our adult lives. That’s why it’s so important for parents to teach their children healthy sleep habits and promote restful sleep. This guide explains how much sleep your child needs, sleep problems affecting different age groups and how you can help your child get better sleep.
Dr. Milton Uecker Presentations – September 2009 In September 2009, Dr. Milton Uecker presented a seminar entitled “A Parent’s Role in Supporting a Child’s Early Education.” Dr. Uecker is the Dean of the Graduate School of Education at Columbia International University. He is best known for his expertise in the field of early childhood education. Dr. Milton Uecker Presentations: